In this 2.5-hour workshop you will learn the basics of Sashiko embroidery. Sashiko is a centuries old Japanese visible mending technique that is now also used to repair denim clothes and to create decorative pieces. You can create stunning geometrical patterns with a running stitch. During the session you will learn how to use the different materials and create a sample piece on a piece of cloth.
What you’ll learn in this workshop
- How and when to use special Sashiko materials
- How to transfer a pattern to your fabric. We will have sample transfer patterns for you to use.
- How to start stitching without knots
- How to make the running stitch
- Do’s and dont’s in Sashiko embroidery
- Embroidery materials used during the workshop are included in this price. You can take your stitched sample (or work in progress) home after the workshop. If you’d like to continue practising at home with other patterns, you’re welcome to buy extra supplies in the studio.
- You’ll get free coffee, tea, and water
- And we’ll have a few yummy snacks from the pâtisserie
Date & Time: Friday 3 November 2023 14:00 – 16:30
Studio Koekoek, Weesperstraat 100 in Amsterdam.
This is close to the “Magere Brug” and the “Holocaust Name Monument” in the centre of Amsterdam. Metro station Weesperplein or Waterlooplein.
The session is suitable for beginners, but also fun for experienced stitchers who like to practice on a different type of fabric.
We’ll host the workshop in both Dutch and English
About Studio Koekoek’s workshop
We love to welcome you in our studio in Amsterdam. We’re working every day with textiles and like to share our enthusiasm with you. You’ll learn in small groups, so you’ll get lots of help with questions.
Workshop cancellation policy
In the unfortunate event that you cannot join your booked event, you are welcome to resell or give your ticket to somebody else who is able to attend. If you wish to cancel your ticket, we adhere to the following policy:
- Cancellations made more than 1 month before the event receive a full refund.
- Cancellations made between 14 and 31 days before the event receive a 50% refund.
- Cancellations made less than 14 days before the event are not refunded.
- No-shows are not refunded.