This jute rug hessian is a great foundation fabric for your punch needle project when using the Wooden Adjustable Punch Needle. This is a raw Burlap fabric, which is a very eco friendly product. Jute fabrics are biodegradable and fit in sustainable home. Please note that jute is a natural fiber, and this hessian is unthreaded. This means that fiber shedding is unavoidable. You will get the nicest result when you completely cover the fabric with punch needle loops. We also sell colored Jute which has less fiber shedding.
- Material: Burlap made with 100% Jute
- Color: Raw Undyed
- Use with: Wooden Adjustable Punch Needle
- Size: 2 meter x 1 meter (about 78″ x 39″)
The ecological benefits of Jute Rug Hessian
- Jute grows quickly and abundantly with a high absorption of CO2. Therefor the CO2 footprint is very low: this means that the jute plant purifies the air by absorbing large amounts of CO2, so it greatly reduces the greenhouse effect. One hectare of jute plants consume about 15 tons of CO2 from the atmosphere and yields about 11 tons of oxygen during the 100 day growing season! Studies show that the degree of CO2 uptake by jute plants is many times higher than by trees. (Inagaki, 2000)
- The environmental impact of jute fibers is relatively low compared to other textiles. The production of yarn, including the production of the plants (not colored), costs 321 mPt / kg. For comparison: undyed cotton fiber costs 806 mPt / kg.
- Jute is an annually recurring natural energy source with a high biomass production.
- The Water footprint of jute is low. In the monsoon, jute is sown to allow the huge amount of rainwater to be absorbed by the jute plant.
- The ecological footprint is low: the roots of the jute plant play a vital role in the fertility of the soil in the form of micronutrients and help prevent soil erosion.
as “between harvest” provides a natural barrier against plague and other pathogens of rice and potato harvests. It is therefore not necessary to use pesticides!